During a couple of recent podcasts I have heard a lot about Drew not being good so no one can complain if the Broncos move on. Also, people saying no off season is an excuse.
I lecture in Sports Coaching and I am currently contributing to a book about talent identification and development. One thing is clear is academic research; to develop talent you need consistency and Drew has not had that due to
– Covid – no off season in his first year as a starter
– New OC AGAIN
– WR 1 injured all year
– Two rookie receivers he never got to throw with during the off season, leading to issues with timing and a case of drops for the receivers
– two pro bowl running backs who took it in turns to be available due to injury etc
– TE1 playing with mild injuries for most of the season
– TE2 and Drew’s favourite college target out for the season after 2-3 super interesting performances
-Drew also played with an underlying injury for a few of his games last season
– had shaky (at best) Oline play until the last few games.
To have any chance of being elite you need three things; Talent, Work Ethic and Consistency
Drew has talent
Drew seems to have improved further his work ethic
but to develop talent you need consistency and therefore I believe Drew deserves another season … this time with a full off season and same OC.
Sorry for the long message just hate the lack of patience with talent development.